Do It Yourself and Other Tips
Whether you want to entertain, master a skill, be a foodie, or impress someone, these tips will certainly help you.
How to debone whole smoked whitefish?
Learn how to debone a whole whitefish yourself and impress someone! Smoked Whitefish is one of our most poplular items that is available in bulk or retail. Most of the whitefish you see is professionally deboned at Acme or by the fish handlers at an appetizing store. Some retailers, Costco for example, sell Whole Smoked Whitefish that you can debone yourself and open up a world of recipe possibilities. You can also find whole whitefish in many delis, seafood departments, and appetizing stores.
How to prepare Gravlax?
Create this Scandinavian culinary delight in a few simple steps by simply using our blend of spices and natural ingredients over your favorite salmon. Gravlax is the perfect food for entertaining. Serve it by itself, on rye bread, with mustard-dill sauce, in a salad, or as a starter. Acme's Gravlax Curing Kit is sold online at Williams-Sonoma , at a Whole Foods, or during Fish Friday's.
How to slice salmon by hand?
Trimming and slicing smoked salmon, lox, or gravlax by hand is truly a skill that only a few can master, but we will help you get there. The guide below will take you step-by-step from start to finish until you end up with thin and silky slices.
You can also join Richard Schiff, on a step-by-step video tutorial on popular smoked salmon slicing techniques.
How to freeze smoked salmon?
Note that smoked salmon can be frozen for extended storage, but the following recommendations are critical to maintain the quality and integrity of the product.
- If product will be consumed at different times, we recommend that you separate the smoked salmon slices prior to freezing.
- Only freeze product that has not been previously opened or has not expired.
- Place a slice or the amount of slices on a desired serving size inside a freezable zip-lock bag. Make sure that the bag is completely sealed as air will dry the smoked salmon.
- Write the freezing date on the bag so you can keep track. Do not store product in the freezer for more than 2 months.
- Place the individual bags inside a container to protect the integrity of the slices.
- Place this container away and above raw products to prevent potential cross-contamination.
- We recommend that your freezer is set to the lowest temperature possible as this will protect the flavor and freshness even further.
- When thawing, make sure you follow the thawing recommendations below.
** Note that other smoked fish can also be frozen using the same steps. Unopened smoked salmon packs can also be stored in the freezer.
How to defrost smoked fish?
Thawing can be a step that if not conducted properly, it can not only deteriorate the quality of smoked fish, but also could be a food safety hazard.
- Make sure that the seals are broken or poke a hole on vacuum packed smoked fish. Be aware that there are bacteria that can grow on environments that have no oxygen. Many of these organisms could be very dangerous. Refrigeration is critical to prevent these organisms from making you sick.
- All smoked fish must always be defrosted under refrigeration. Quality also happens to be affected if the product is not defrosted under refrigeration.
What quantities of smoked fish to buy when serving groups or entertaining?
We understand that buying smoked fish and herring could be your daily or weekly indulgence, but there are times that smoked fish is shared with friends and family. We have created a simple guide to better assist you with quantities to buy depending on the number of people that you are planning to serve.
Acme Smoked Fish Recipe Book
Download the entire Acme Smoked Fish Recipe Book containing recipes for the most popular smoked fish and herring products produced by ACME. You can also visit our recipe section on the web for easy navigation. Recipes are organized by product type, meal type, and theme. These recipes were inspired by our friend Melissa Vaughan, the author of the New Brooklyn Cookbook.